Fire extinguisher servicing or maintenance is essential as required by the new fire safety order. The British Standard Code of Practice BS 5306 Part 3 states that fire extinguisher servicing needs to be carried out at least annually to ensure that the extinguishers are safe and will always function in an emergency. Our quality fire extinguishers will provide many years of reliable fire protection but despite the five year manufacturers’ guarantee, an annual service by a competent engineer is still required. It is also stated that fire extinguishers should be checked at least monthly ‘in house’ to check for any signs of tampering, missing or used extinguishers. A record of these checks should be noted in your fire log book.
Inspect fire extinguishers at least once a month (more often in severe environments).
Fire extinguisher maintenance is important for everyone’s safety.
You must ensure that:
- The extinguisher is not blocked by equipment, coats or other objects that could interfere with access in an emergency.
- The pressure is at the recommended level. On extinguishers equipped with a gauge (such as that shown on the right), the needle should be in the green zone – not too high and not too low.
- The nozzle or other parts are not hindered in any way.
- The pin and tamper seal (if it has one) are intact.
- There are no dents, leaks, rust, chemical deposits and/or other signs of abuse/wear. Wipe off any corrosive chemicals, oil, gunk etc. that may have deposited on the extinguisher.
Some manufacturers recommend shaking your dry chemical extinguishers once a month to prevent the powder from settling/packing.
Fire extinguishers should be pressure tested (a process called hydrostatic testing) after a number of years to ensure that the cylinder is safe to use. Consult your owner’s manual, extinguisher label or the manufacturer to see when yours may need such testing.
If the extinguisher is damaged or needs recharging, replace it immediately!
For more information on our Fire Extinguisher Maintenance and Servicing please visit our Main Fire Extinguisher Maintenance and Servicing page.